Thursday, September 25, 2008

Super Green Smoothie. Does a body good!

My friend Lisa and I are on a kick. Green smoothies. We made some last night at her house and chugged them! They are SUPER healthy. They aren't the best tasting smoothie I've ever had, but I can get it down. I figure, how else would I eat all the things that are in it. Here are the ingredients, get ready, it's weird:

Chard
Kale
Spinach
Collards
Banana
Blueberries
Water

Yep, that's it! Now doesn't that sound like a mouthful of YUM?! We are trying to have one for breakfast and lunch every day. For me, I think today, breakfast was good enough. These pictures make me laugh with our green mustaches. Thanks Lisa for sharing this crazy smoothie with me. I feel healthier already! Warning, if you try this at home, don't try to sip and savor, you have to just CHUG this puppy. Get it down fast. Then, you'll feel great knowing you've put some really healthy foods in your body. Her sister (I think? correct me on that Lisa) lost 40 pounds doing this. She did a smoothie for breakfast and lunch and then just ate a normal dinner. I went online and read the health benefits of all these ingredients...it's AMAZING! Kale is good for removing toxins from your body. Blueberries are so high in antioxidants, etc. Now, I'm going to make one for Paul tomorrow morning. Not quite sure if he'll be as eager to try this as I was. He'd probably rather take a multi-vitamin. My goal, is to be able to come off my heart medication in a year. That is soon, but I'm really going to work on that! So, bring on the CHARD!

8 comments:

Dolly said...

Oh Angela! I don't know about that. I mean on one hand, it probably IS really healthy for you and I can see how it makes you feel good putting all those nutrients and greens in your body but I'm not sure if I could chuck it without throwing up. Maybe when I'm trying to lose my baby weight. I'll let you know if I try it. Good for you! You inspire me!

jenniferg said...

Ang and Lisa..
Not sure I can go for this one. I think I will stick with my morning Diet Coke with Lime. Sure.. it may not be quite as healthy.. but.. yum yum..

Anonymous said...

Well, I wish you all the best in that effort! :) I love you, Angela, but your jug there was enough to gross me out!!!! Then again, I'm pregnant...don't be offended! :)

Kristen's Raw said...

I love green smoothies - BIG TIME! But, I make them so I really like them, only once in a while do I get a doozy that I have to chug down - LOL.

One of my favorites is my Fluffy Green Smoothie

1-2 cups water
1-2 handsful spinach
2 apples
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Give it a whirl in your blender and enjoy :)

Cheers,
Kristen

Angela Richardson said...

Kristen, thanks for the tip! I'll definitely try it! I'll let you know how it turns out. :)

Kristi Smalley said...

OK, I have drank green drinks for years, off and on. Sometimes very drastically and religiously and sometimes just hit or miss. I have to say that I have NEVER gotten used to the taste, I NEVER enjoy them and I still....all these years later....don't come up for air until it is all drank. I take the meaning of the word "Chug" to a whole nutha' level.

Anonymous said...

You are one hard core sister. Just the thought of it makes me want to gag. I think I will stick with my organic oatmeal.

Teecy said...

i love smoothies like this...i have a little organic shop here that sells them for about 3 bucks and it's a great lunch on the go!
good job, ang...way to be healthy!