Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Hill



Not to be confused with "The Hills". Smut. :)

This hill is on my street. Starts at the end of my driveway and goes down from there.

It's steep. Just walking up, my calves burn like the dickens. I try to run/walk about 3-4 times a week and I always finish with running the hill 5 times! Ye-ouch!

The other night I was walking in my neighborhood. It was dusk. Paul had the boys and I needed to just get out for a bit. I borrowed Paul's ipod/iphone because mine's dead. I wasn't sure if he had any good running songs - (sometime I'll post my run/walk playlist, it's the BEST!). The songs that were on his "worship" playlist were amazing.

Now, let me take a break here and say, that I love listening to music with little earphones. You hear every single part of the band, the guitars, the bass, the strings, the cymbals, the drums. And it's amazing how when you have an earphone in each ear, the sound somehow meets in the middle of your head, creating a blend of perfection! Ahhh, I love it.

Anyway, it had been a rainy week and the clouds from Hurricane Ike were still hanging around. But also starting to break up. As I was walking, I was working out some frustrations. For example...not getting enough done in my day, wondering if I am intentionally spending quality time with my boys each day, losing that 10 pounds I've wanted to lose for 10 YEARS!, and just feeling like I haven't been my best, not for my husband or myself, or God. I guess it was a frustration/pity party. I was ending the front part of my walk and saw the hill coming. I knew I SHOULD do it, but I was feeling lumpy and tired and thought, I could just walk up my driveway and call it a night. But I trudged down the hill, knowing I'd have to get BACK UP that d-a-r-n thing. As I was walking down this song came on...From The Inside Out. It's on my playlist so if you haven't heard it, turn it up and listen to it (and better yet, plug in some earphones while you're at it). I found myself picking up the pace a little and as I got to the bottom ready to run up, I was in a full jog. I got up that thing so fast, I couldn't remember doing it. Then, the most marvelous thing happened. I turned at the top, where I have a most glorious view of the skyline and the moon was peeking through all those huge clouds. The sky was BLACK at this point and it all looked sort of creepy like a halloween night, but breathtaking at the same time. I so wish I had a picture to show you, but I doubt my camera would've captured it. It was just me and God, the clouds and moon and some great music. We were on a date. A desperately needed date. I could not help but raise my hands to the sky. If my neighbors don't already think I'm crazy...they will now. But I was so overcome with love for God and that was truly coming from the inside - - out. God reminded me to put Him first and give my frustrations to Him. Taking my frustrations out on that hill does my body good, but it does my soul good to give them over to God. I took a deep breath, started down the hill again, and in that moment, thanked God for meeting me on the hill.

I ran it 6 TIMES that night I'll have you know. :)

8 comments:

jenniferg said...

Great post.. Great inspiration! I love that song!

Jamie Sizemore said...

GIRL!!!!!I needed to hear every thought and word of feelings you felt and wrote, I can so 100% relate especially dealing with this condition, and adding the guilt and am I meeting everyone's needs and even expectations. I just put myself there with you on that hill raising my hands with you!

Donna said...

Angela! That was a very nice post and I loved reading it!

Tonya said...

You should write an inspirational book! Your descriptions are amazing! I felt like I was right there with you...and by the way...I am right there with you with all those frustrations of everyday life. Thanks for sharing it hit home!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful...thank you for letting us into that worshipful moment. I love WHO YOU ARE!

Anonymous said...

Precious friend, LOVE this post! So glad He finally caught you alone, so rare in "Mommy World". Thanks for sharing such a special moment with your Father with us! xoxoxo Kel

Dolly said...

You're such a great writer and very inspirational Angela. Thanks for sharing your heart! Listening to worship music and excersing is one of my favorite things to do.

Anonymous said...

I need a hill. Not that I would use it that often right now...but you get my idea.

You are a great writer, Angela! Keep it up! I enjoy reading your blog... :)