Saturday, February 7, 2009

First Monthly Fix and Freeze

Yesterday Tandy, Jennifer and I cooked up a STORM! After 2 weeks of planning, we combined efforts and made enough food for our families for 2 weeks. Here's what we made: Lasagna, Chicken Enchiladas, Crockpot BBQ Chicken, Mexican Casserole, Spaghetti Sauce, Vegetable Soup, Chili, 5 1/2 dozen banana muffins, whole wheat dinner rolls, homemade ice cream sandwiches, and 3 Lemon Layer cakes! Whew! We started at 9:00 in the morning and finished up around 6:00. Long day, but VERY productive and so much fun to cook with friends!
Paul had the boys all day. I came home last night to find THIS in our kitchen. It is New York City. Complete with Central Park in the middle with green felt. They are even adding street lights. I was AMAZED how much time and effort Paul put into this activity with the boys. They worked on it all day. It made me feel so good to see that they spent quality time together.


10 comments:

Donna said...

What a great idea! You're set for a long time with all of that food. How are you going to store it? Do you have a deep freezer?

I bet your feet were hurting you last night, huh?!

Kristi Smalley said...

I did that one time and it was WONDERFUL but I never did it again. It is a lot of work. I am in the process of researching how to do a one month cook day. How did you do it with friends? Did one of you make triple of a certain dish and the others did the same? It would be funner with friends. You are inspiring me~

Melanie said...

Great idea! How about giving some tips on how you 3 accomplished this? Who decided on what to fix. Whose recipes did you go by?
Or maybe you are too worn out to answer questions!
Melanie@Bella~Mella

Toni R. said...

Wow! You go girl! I used to do that, but only for one week's worth of food. It was just SO much work,but then again, I was doing it on my own, sans friends!
You will have to pass along some of those recipes though ;)
BTW- this is random, but I was rummaging through some stuff at my parents house today (I'm in the 'burg for the weekend) and I found an old yearbook of your brother's! I'm going to have them bring it to him at church! I think you must have brought it over my house a long time ago and forgot it or something?

Windsor said...

That is an awesome idea! Might have to steal that one! If you need to unload some food feel free to ship it our way...looks yummy!

Unknown said...

I LOVE this! Donna, we need to do it! GREAT JOB, girls! Love your Vera Bradley apron! :)

Jennifer said...

Yes, a GREAT idea and please let us know how you three organized it...I would love to do this with friends!

And the best part was that you all looked so darn cute after a hard day's work!

Dolly said...

Way to go Angela! Your menu items sound scrumptious too! I did this about a month before I had Michael. I only made four meals and it took me FOREVER. My feet were killing but it was so nice just getting something yummy out of the freezer to heat up. Well worth all the work and I know your family will be happy you did this.

Carolina Clipper said...

This is impressive! I'd like to know the details on how you planned it and the cost per person. Would you do it again?

Carolina Clipper said...

Do you have the old "recipes of the week" anywhere on your site? It seems they disapper with each new week but maybe I'm missing it. Let me know b/c I'm always looking for quick and easy. I love that part of your blog.