Saturday, January 24, 2009

The things a pacifier will buy....

Last night I told Wesley if he could sleep ALL night in his bed without his paci, then I would take him to Target and he could buy a new Spider Man. Well, he DID it! We put the paci in a ziploc and pretended that was the "money" for his new toy. This morning I took Wesley out on a little date. It's amazing how different my boys are when they are apart from each other. Wesley was a sweetheart. I let him walk around the store like a big boy. No buckling him in the cart today!!! He strolled the aisles, looking for that very special toy, (under $10.00). He picked up a robot dinosaur at one point, it was $99.00. I told him he would need 10 paci's to buy that! So, as we were walking around, he would say..."Mom, do I have enough paci's to buy this?". People were definitely looking at us. There were a few moms that would look at me with a smile that says..."Oh, I've been there, you must be getting rid of a paci." We got to the check out and Wesley had the ziploc bag (with paci) in one hand and the new Spider Man in the other. I could tell he was in a bit of a pickle. I got this picture of him staring at the Spider Man..."do I REALLY want this, or my paci?"

Getting ready to pay...
The lady at the checkout counter was such a good sport. She was very discreet about me paying and then made a big deal of him giving her the paci. (Then I saw her toss it in the trash can!:)


This is the face Wesley makes when he's really proud of himself! Kind of like, he's trying NOT to smile. He did a great job. And, he went down for his nap with no problem!!! Keeping my fingers crossed for bed time tonight!

Update on his first night without the paci - He asked for it one time and I said, if you want your paci, it's at Target and we'll have to take back spider man to get it....I never heard another word about the paci! I think we might be in the clear!!!

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Priceless...just priceless! I was going to say Wesley looks JUST like Paul until I saw the last picture and that is SOOOOOO an Ang face. He's the perfect combination. Nice job! I'll have to remember that one!

jenniferg said...

Very sweet story!!! Love the photos! Way to go Wesley!

Windsor said...

Good for you!!! Love the idea I am going to have to keep that one in my back pocket for MR. Good job Wesley! He is just too cute!

Bargain Noble said...

That is SUCH a great idea! Alex was really attached to her paci, so I've been there. Luckily, Aron never took a paci. You are so creative to come up with that idea! And kudos to you for bringing along to camera to capture this momentus occasion!

Bargain Noble said...

Oh, and by the way, I made your Friendship Stew last night and it was a HUGE HIT with the family! We also made some cornbread to go along with it! What a great recipe!

Unknown said...

I made the frienship stew Friday night, girls. It was DELISH and I have TONS left over.

Jennifer said...

Okay, that's adorable!!! I've heard similar stories and it's always amazing that the person taking the paci's (the cashier) just goes along with things so well. A great idea with a great ending!

One more night until the Bachelor...although I did see that the new episode of Jon and Kate comes on at 9:00 and it's where they show their new house. I'm thinking my DVR will be working hard tomorrow night! :)

Dolly said...

That's such a great idea Angela and I loved seeing the pictures along with it. That Wesley is too cute. I hope he's still doing good without it. Michael won't take a paci either Toni. He loves his fingers. Guess we'll have to invest in braces for him one day.

Oh, I saw Heather in the nursery this morning. It was good to see her. We talked about Celine and how she rocks!!!!

Kristi Smalley said...

That is the most precious thing ever!!! I'm so glad you captured the whole thing on film. Those faces were priceless. You are a good mom, Angela!

Anonymous said...

Angela,
This is precious! :) We were brutal and took Kenni's away at nine months. It was like what I think watching a crack addict go through withdrawal would be like!! Caia, bless her, never took a paci well and much prefers her fingers...another battle for us to endure, I'm sure! But, little Jack, well...he is a fan of the paci. I'll be asking you for tips in a few years, I'm sure!

Donna said...

Angela! I love that last pic of him making that face. How sweet?!! What a great idea. I don't have any paci takers in this house, but maybe one day I will. I'll definitely remember this!!

Fergy Files said...

so cute! What a great idea!

Anonymous said...

What a 'big boy' experience for Wes - tell him Granny is proud of him and that he (& Will) have another surprise coming down next week!

Beats throwing it over Niagara Falls! YEAH!