Thursday, January 15, 2009

Super Mario Showdown

I was having a ho-hum day. Still in my pj's at noon. Taking care of 3 boys. (my nephew is staying with us this week..sweet little Max) Playing playdough. Trying to make a dessert for our journey group that night. When I got a phone call from my friend Tandy. "Can I stop by? I'm bored." YES! I made apple bread for both of us and we sipped coffee while the boys played. Tandy and I got to talking about how much we loved Super Mario Brothers 3 (it's been years since I played). My eyes lit up with an idea!
"Tandy, I've got the old, vintage Nintendo system that still works, and Super Mario 3, let's play!" So, that's exactly what we did. We sat on the floor in my bedroom for over an hour and played a video game. I felt like a kid again. It's amazing how much I remembered after all this time. Like, where the extra men are and what tunnels lead to extra coins, etc. We were squealing and cheering each other on when it came to killing the dragon...GO, GO, GO, GO!
I'm not mad, I'm just concentrating really hard! Those flying ducks can sure make me nervous! ha!

My boys were SO impressed with Tandy's skills! They call her the mario rock star now. She got us all the way to world 7 with 16 extra men!

Now, I need to give a shout out to my friend Toni. When we were little, I would go to her house and we would play super mario 24/7. The only break we would take is to swim in her fabulous pool! Then, back in for more mario! Toni, all these years later, I want you to know you taught me a skill that will forever be with me! ha! :)

8 comments:

Melanie said...

Hey Angela! Sounds like a fun day with a friend.
'Just wondering if you got the email I sent in reply to some of your questions. I sent it from the hospital computer so I'm not sure if some of those emails were recieved.
Melanie@Bella~Mella

Bargain Noble said...

Ha! Ha! Ha! I am laughing SO hard right now! We did have some sweet skills with the Nintendo, didn't we?!
I can't believe you still have the old "vintage" Nintendo system! That is SO cool! Alex has the Gameboy DS and they have the Super Mario 3 for it and Eddie and I still play it constantly!
I remember how bad my eyes would hurt so bad afterwards from staring at that screen for so long without blinking!!!

Unknown said...

AW man, I LOOOOVE that game. That was my one and only FAV Nintendo game. Me jealous. I've heard Super Mario Galaxy is JUST as fun but I haven't tried it yet.

ONE MORE DAY!

Jennifer said...

Okay, am I really that much older than you guys because I have never played that. I think Atari (sp?) was what everyone had when I was younger. We never had any video games...we opted for food instead. HA HA

I'm just impressed that two girls were able to hook that up...not a chance I could have done that. :)

Glad you had fun!

Donna said...

Funny, Jennifer! My parents wouldn't buy us a Nintendo, but when I went to people's houses who had Mario Brothers, I went crazy! I can still hear that music:)

Looks like a fun day!!

Dolly said...

Ah, I love this post and am laughing. I can still hear the music too and I'm laughing picturing you and Toni playing that and swimming then playing again. Not to brag but I am pretty good at that game too. I was ADDICTED to it but like Donna said, we never had it at our house. I would play it all the time at friends houses. Good post, goooood post!

Kristi Smalley said...

OK, I feel left out because I have NEVER played Mario. Yes, I'm with you Jennifer. I remember the Christmas when my parents bought us an Atari. We stayed up half the night playing the ever-so-violent Frogger.

Love that LU t-shirt, Angela.

Anonymous said...

Love the stew. Easy, fast and delicious! My family thanks you.