Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I just wanna VOTE for crying out loud!

Today I started out early. I have both boys, a stroller, etc. I knew it wasn't going to be easy, but I wasn't prepared for the run-a-round I got today. I headed to the precinct on my voter registration card. Parked the car, got Wes in the stroller got to the doors, "Um, ma'am, sorry, but you need to go to another precinct". Okay, no big deal. A little frustrating, but whatever it takes. So, we make the little trek to the next stop...they told me I needed to park 150 yards away from the building because I had a campaign bumper sticker on my bumper. (As if my bumper sticker is going to change some undecided voter's mind as they are walking in). I was determined I was going to get my vote cast whatever it took...Got the kids out of the car, Wes in the stroller again wait in line and ....YOU WON'T BELIEVE IT....they told me I still wasn't at the right precinct. You've got to be kidding me! So I get to the last stop, it was the right one and I parked. A security guy came up to my window and said "Ma'am, either you need to remove the sticker off your car or park in the field over there." What???? At this point it was comical to me. I was a little short with the guy (sorry, security guy, it wasn't you, just a long line of events leading up to you). Got, out of my car and tore the sign off the bumper. Whew. "Boys, let's go!" I got right in and voted, a few of the questions stumped me. They use double negatives...For example..."Should the law not be amended to allow..." These confuse me! I hope I voted right for those.

I received my Georgia Voter sticker and the attendant told me that if I went to Chic-fil-a with my sticker on, I would get a free chicken sandwich! Hallelujah! I've earned it at this point right? So that's just what we did. The boys are even excited about watching tonight now because during all our running around today, they got to hear me talking about the election. Will thinks it's unfair that you have to be able to "read and write" to get to vote. Awh, buddy. He wanted to vote sooooo bad.

Oh, and one more thing. One of the places had a sign saying not to talk about the election or the candidates. I HAD to say something to Will outside because if anyone is going to break THAT rule, it's him. He thought we were going to be in serious trouble if we spoke at all, because there were a few policeman around. He was an angel while I voted! ha!

By the way...I love the good 'ol Whitney Houston days. Here's one of my favorites.

2 comments:

Toni R. said...

Oh, Angela! That stinks! I don't know what the law is where you are, but here in VA, you just can't WEAR a party specific shirt or sticker or anything. I can't believe they made you park across the street? That doesn't sound right....I would look into that if I were you.

Kristi Smalley said...

Angela, that is hilarious. It seems like something happens to you everytime you have a little outing. Maybe God is telling you to know your place - Be a kept woman! Stay home! Hee-hee!