Monday, November 10, 2008

Africa and my embarrassing oil story

Okay, so the word is out. My husband has been in Africa for almost 8 days. He's leaving to come home tomorrow! I have been trying to keep it a secret from my blog, but it's all over facebook and blogging. I was nervous about this at first, but then I have had so many people email or facebook me and tell me that they were praying for these men and for our family. Thank you so much for your prayers. Click here to read Paul's latest entry, I know this trip has been emotionally draining for him and all these guys.

I did something. Something really stupid. My oil light came on in the car and so without Paul being here, I thought, I am gonna go take care of this. I am a 31 year old WOMAN for crying out loud. I take my car to a "car place" (the names have been omitted to save them from embarrassment) I told the guy I needed oil. So he suggests I get a certain type of oil for the mileage on my car. 173,065 miles to be exact. Oldie, but a goodie. The oil I ended up purchasing was $17.49 a bottle. I needed 3 of them because my car was bone dry. Did I have any idea that oil normally costs about $3.99 a quart? No! I'm a sucker. There went my grocery money, down the drain, well, no, in my engine. But I will say, my engine is purring like a kitten now. Oh man, wait til Paul finds out about this. The REALLY sad part is that this morning I went out in our garage and saw 2 quarts of oil sitting on the shelf. Ooops!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

funny :)!!!do you think I need a facebook?

Anonymous said...

I waited awhile to post that steve was away too. I didn't want anyone to know that he wasn't here, ya know for safety issues. But,then my dad came down to visit which has helped a lot.
Just a little longer and they will be home. YAY!!

Jennifer said...

My husband went out of town for 10 days and I posted that he was gone the 1st day he left...I guess that was kind of dumb. Oh well, you live you learn!

Funny about the oil! I would have done the same thing because I have no clue how much a quart of oil costs.

I enjoyed your story about how you got the name of your blog...very clever and very true! :)

Kristi Smalley said...

That is so funny, Angela. You remind me of Lucy Ricardo. HA! Now, you just need to tell Paul how you took the initiative and got oil in the car and so on. The price of the oil is an incidental and really doesn't need to be added to the story. I know you will be glad for him to come home. I'm glad they have had a successful trip.

Donna said...

Paul will be proud of you for going in and getting it done yourself!! Good for you, Angela!!

Now just make your blog private and you can always let us know when Paul goes out of town:)