Sunday, November 16, 2008

Chewin' on, Chewin' on broken glass

A local restaurant serves my favorite Cheddar Broccoli soup, with a roll, perfect for tearing apart and dipping. Yesterday, I went with a friend to get a bowl. Ahhh. Cold day, we had soup and coffee. I normally eat my soup with the bread, just dipping, but if I run out of bread, I'll use my spoon to eat the rest. Well, I went to take a bite with my spoon and YE---OUCH! I crunched down on GLASS! There was glass in my soup!!! My top gum started bleeding and I realized there was a little shard of glass stuck up there. And, my back tooth was really hurting. I had to spit out everything in my mouth, in front of my friend. I was so embarrassed. She urged me to go say something. Now, I'm normally not a "complainer", but this was waaaaaay different. Here's the problem, I ended up acting so nervous telling them, and my mouth was still hurting, I actually APOLOGIZED to THEM! I told my mom about this last night and she was like, you WHAT? I was like..."I'm sorry to tell you this, but here's what happened....I'm sorry...etc." Now, they were very apologetic to me too, I must say. A sweet girl Lauren from our church works there and gave me and my friend a free dessert and coffee. I had to fill out a claims form and write out the details of the "incident". I have to go to my dentist on Monday, I think my top tooth is chipped. Good grief. Any advice ladies? I know the company will call me this week. I mean, I started thinking...what if this had been my child? Or what if I swallowed it? Yikes. There might have been more at the bottom of my bowl, I didn't take the time to look.
Here's the picture, taken with my phone. The smallest piece is the one I pulled out of my gum. I gave all 3 pieces to the staff, and the bowl. They wrapped them up.

I was just thinking, it's a little ironic...Crumbs in my butter.....Glass in my soup.

And another thing, don't feel bad if you read this and find yourself laughing a little. That just means you're a kindred spirit. Chances are I would be doing the same thing if I read it about someone else. But deep down, I know you care! :)

8 comments:

Unknown said...

hi, I am a new reader!!! Oh! that was really a terrible ting to happen!!! I would make them pay for the dentist visit

jenniferg said...

I know this must have been horrible but I feel for your friend. :)
Look on the bright side, at least it wasn't a conch shell.
P.S. LOVE the song!

Toni R. said...

Say What???!!! Oh, they better be glad it wasn't me!! Don't apologize...you are the victim! I am shocked and appalled that they didn't comp your whole meal! Coffee and a dessert?? That's JUST what I'm sure you were wanting after having hurt your tooth...some nice steaming hot coffee and some sugar! Can you tell I'm passionate about this subject? You could definitely make some serious cash from this "incident" (speaking from experience....something similar happened to me). When they call you, tell them you want them to first and foremost, reimburse your for your ENTIRE meal, pay for your dentist visit, gas/mileage to the dentist, compensation for your time, compensation for the pain....well..you get the idea. If they don't tell them they will need to speak to your lawyer from here on out. Okay....off my soapbox now!

Angela Richardson said...

Toni! I love it! Thanks for firing me up a bit. I'm gonna be strong, I promise. I have to call them back tomorrow. No more mamby pamby Angela. It's gonna be..."Get outa my way Angela!" :)

Kristi Smalley said...

Yes, girl, I agree with Toni. You need to turn into the Exorcist while you are talking to that rep. That could have been much worse and heaven forbid it was your child. Sick em, Angela.

Michele Helms said...

I know how you feel...it is just our southern nature to say things like that. Sort of like thanking the police officer when he gives you a ticket!!! :| I enjoyed your blog!

Toni R. said...

Hey Angela- I just read your question about the Christmas Swap and think either Denise or Donna will email us to let us know.

Anonymous said...

a little late on the comment, but I feel your pain! I have found a paperclip (whole) from a can of chicken noodle soup I had just poured into a bowl! Scary...