Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Even though

my man didn't win last night, I still have something to celebrate...Today I have reached 10,062 hits on my blog!!! Wahooo! So, someone out there is reading all this nonsense huh? I feel like a walk down memory lane is necessary...This was my post about the title of my blog, back in March, just in case some of you newcomers are thinking, "What in the world is Crumbs In My Butter?" To all of you who have read this blog, thank you for humoring me over the past year. I've met some sweet friends (who I've never technically met, but I call them friends just the same! you know who you are!!!). Crumbs in my butter readers are SIMPLY THE BEST!

What is "Crumbs in my butter?"
And now for the long-awaited reveal of the title of my blog! :) I hoped it teased you a little that I waited until now. Ha! What's it been like only 2 days???

A few years ago Paul and I were preparing for out of town company. A dear friend was coming that we hadn't seen in a while and I went nuts cleaning the house. The day before our guest was to arrive, Paul came home from work to find me in a tizzy. I was stressed out because I had to go shopping and get "guest friendly" food, come up with some type of welcome basket for the guest bedroom, I was even touch-up painting our walls where my five year old (then 3 yr. old) had colored or put his handprints.

Paul asked me why I felt the need to do all of these things? Well, I was outraged! Why do I feel the need??? Because, it's what your SUPPOSE to do when you have company. After all, he should be thankful that I am doing all this, because it makes him look good too. As I was giving him my laundry list of "to-do's" for the day, he sat down at the kitchen counter and just listened...patiently and quietly, until....

A - "And I need to pull the weeds from the front flower bed, put a new bar of soap in the shower, and oh...there's crumbs I need to scrape out of the butter."

P - "Wait, what did you say? There's crumbs in the BUTTER! Angela, seriously, you've got to be kidding me."

A - "No, that's embarrassing, I'm gonna scrape them out!"

Paul had enough. He told me he didn't care if anyone saw the crumbs in our butter in fact he said, let them see the crumbs in our butter! That's who we are! We HAVE CRUMBS IN OUR BUTTER! In fact, he said, I hope Will throws a good 'ol fashioned tantrum while our company is here too, because that's WHO WE ARE!

So, I left the room, upset. But I thought about what he said, (or what he yelled :) I decided to leave the weeds in the flower bed, and yes, I left the crumbs in my butter.

Now, it's not that I won't occasionally scrape those crumbs out for company, and I still do all of the little touches, because that's just me. But, my perspective on why I do these things has changed. Thank goodness for a husband who isn't scared to tell me the truth.

A good friend will see the crumbs in your butter and love you anyway, or love you even more because of them.

But, lesson learned, we ALL have crumbs in our butter!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish Mcain won too

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

The punch line on the vote thing is that I had salmonella poisoning that resulted in an explosion at home if you know what I mean that lasted from Sun 9p to Mon 2p - finally laid in floor I was so sick. After all that, I get up to go vote - Haven't missed one since I was eligible so wasn't going to miss this one! That poor woman just asked me one time too many! Love ya babe!

Anonymous said...

Awwww....Angela, I love that you shared about "crumbs in your butter", it made me totally laugh and totally understand about running around like a crazy person when you have out of town guests. I can totally see you with your "to do" list. You are loved with weeds in your garden and crumbs in your butter!

On another note, we'll have to see what happens in the next 4 years and cover our country with prayer.

I love your blog and read it often, this is just the only time I've left a comment ♥

Kristi Smalley said...

This title has always cracked me up....INGENIOUS!!!!! Thanks for the recap. BTW - I have been meaning to email you again. I have been praying for you. You haven't broken out in Shingles yet have you??? HA!

Tonya said...

Your blog is my most favorite title! I love that story! So funny! We ALL have crumbs in our butter!

Bummed about the election too!

Donna said...

WOOHOOO! It's a special thing when your blog reaches the 5 digit number! Keep on with the good writing!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you wrote that, you know where I'm at and that right there girl is claiming Victory, Amen!!Love ya!

Jamie(it's anonymous,because my password wasn't working)

Anonymous said...

Angela, not only do I have crumbs in my butter, I'm pretty sure that you could scrape out enough to reconstruct an entire bagel or something.... :)
I'm thinking of renaming my blog "Spaghetti on my Floor" or "Toys in my Toilet"....

Anonymous said...

Hey,
It was fun having breakfast with you yesterday.