Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Paul goes Quail hunting!

See that little bird in his hand? Yep, that would be a quail.
I have SO enjoyed hanging out with Paul on his days off for Christmas. We've done some projects around the house. Slept in. Rented movies. Played games with the boys. And today, Paul got to do something he'd never done before. A friend of his took him quail hunting today. He shot 15 quail!!! Now, what we're going to do with them, I'm not quite sure. Anybody got a quail recipe?

Paul also had time to put together a Lego Grevious (from Star Wars) with Will. This thing has 1,085 pieces. It took them 7 hours. Before:
After: (this thing looks so creepy to me)

Whew, an entire week without posting. I'll have to admit, it's been nice to have some time off the computer. But I'm glad to be back! I'm ready to take down my decorations, clean my house and get ready for a new year. You know how your house can get so cluttered at Christmas, by the time it's over, you just want everything back to normal? That's where I am. SIMPLIFY.

8 comments:

tawn said...

So, are the quail out in the bushes, or in the "quail house"?

Angela Richardson said...

They release the quail that morning. Then they go out with the dogs and find them. I know, I was looking at the pictures Paul took, thinking...hmmm....that look too easy. Did you just stand there and shoot them? Oh no, it's a sport. The thrill of the hunt! :)

Melanie said...

Sounds like you've had lots of fun and family time! Great pics and slide show.
I may actually have a quail recipe in one of my RiverRoad (Louisiana) cookbooks. I'll check when we get back home.

Toni R. said...

Ewwww...quail? There is no way you could get me to pluck feathers, decapitate and whatever else you have to do to a quail in order to prepare it for dinner!
You'll have to post on here how it turns out!
Way for Paul to be a trooper with Grevious! 7 Hours!

Donna said...

Roy loves quail hunting. Actually, it's pretty tasty. Last time he went, my dad smoked what he got and it wasn't bad...it tasted like chicken!

I'm glad you all had a relaxing Christmas together. Those are the best! It's hard to go back to reality now:(

Kristi Smalley said...

I actually have a quail recipe. A company I used to work for did a company cookbook and my bosses were hunters and submitted a recipe. I will find it and send it to you. You are a good wife b/c if that was me, those 15 quail would be in the trash can or fed to a pack of dogs. Ha!

Jennifer said...

Okay Donna, does quail REALLY taste like chicken??? :) I imagine the meat to be dark and slimy...was it? I'm with Kristi - the quail's final resting place would be the trash can.

Sounds like you guys had a nice Christmas. I know what you mean about Christmas clutter and how nice it is to get it back to normal. I love Christmas but kind of glad we only celebrate it a month.

Happy New Year!

Janie said...

I think you're supposed to serve the quail with manna. :)