Saturday, December 6, 2008

"Resist the urge...

to have everything neat and tidy". That is what I have to tell myself when I do these little activities with my kids. I've been around moms (and mom blogs) that have more patience in their little finger than I do in my entire being. Some will say, "oh, they're just being kids, let 'em make a mess and have fun!" Me, not so much. But this year, I'm working on it. A couple of weeks ago I was making cookies and asked the boys to help. I actually let Will crack the egg! But he could tell I was tense and he said...

"Mom, I can tell you're doing this activity for us and trying to make it fun, but it's hard for you."

Out of the mouths of babes.

Oh, dear. It showed. My impatience, my "freaking out" over every cookie splatter and the fact that each oatmeal chocolate chip cookie wasn't perfectly round on the cookie sheet. I even re-shaped some of the ones they did. Oh, that's horrible. I can't believe I'm even admitting it.

I read this today: "Be completely humble and gentle; be PATIENT, bearing with one another in love." Ephesians 4:2 I realize that patience is not something that will come naturally for me. So I asked, even begged God for patience. Especially with my boys.

So tonight...I did MUCH better. I let my kids decorate the Christmas cookies, however they wanted. They were licking icing and trying sprinkles. Glopping huge amounts of icing everywhere. The picture looks pretty neat and tidy, but what I really wish I had was an after picture (before we cleaned everything up:).
These little babies are a REAL find! My great-grandmother's old cream jars. They're so small, about 2 inches tall. (She used to go down to the drug store and buy a little jar of cream for 5 cents - and she got to KEEP THE JAR!) So, after all these years of me trying to figure out what to do with them, example: mini flower vases, storing paper clips and push pins, I had a BRILLIANT idea. I put sprinkles in them for the kids and they each had their own jars with their own icing. They are the perfect size for the kids' fingers to reach in and pinch out a sprinkling.

Yay! Here we are, actually having fun.

Wesley's masterpieces.Will's works of art.
On a side note...I love aprons! I have such a collection that when friends come over, I usually have them pick one to take home. (Now there are some that are off limits, like the one I'm wearing here.) Bonnie May - Thank you for my Christmas apron! I think of you every time I put it on! I found a web site the other day with AMAZING aprons. Click on HEAVENLY HOSTESS to check it out.These are my favorite. They're pretty pricey, but I know some of you out there with sewing skills, who could whip these up in no time!!!Look at this cute dish towel too!

8 comments:

Melanie said...

We have apron love in common! I just took out my favorite Christmas apron and have it displayed in my kitchen. I have to wear aprons when I cook and clean the kitchen...I'm a bit of a messy cook.
Wouldn't it be fun to do a "Christmas Apron" blog with a picture of the blogger in her Christmas apron? I think I'll do that. What do you think? You already have your picture. Look for it next week on my blog! You inspired me.

Angela Richardson said...

Wahoo! Melanie you are on top of it girl! Maybe in the spring we could do a "blog" apron swap?

Donna said...

Angela, I can totally relate to this post. When I make cookies with Caroline or when she wants to help me cook, I kind of cringe, but have to remind myself that I'm teaching her how to be a mommy! Who cares about flour spilling everywhere?! You are such a good mommy and you can tell your boys ADORE you! That's how it should be.

I LOVE the black apron! Sur la Table (www.surlatable.com) has a cute little hostess apron in their store that I love. It's cute/sassy/SEXY!

The Bertz Clan said...

Hi Angela - I was directed to your blog by yours/Paul's facebook page and this is the first post that I read. Oh my, totally me to a tee! Thanks for the reminder that I need to let loose, make a mess and have more fun with my kids, especially headed into Christmas cookie baking! You guys look like you are having fun -- way to go! :)
BTW - your boys are adorable and you look awesome!

The Bertz Clan said...

So, I just realized that by signing in with my google account you will have absolutely no idea who I am! My "blog" page actually has NOTHING on it...argh! Kristy (Martin) Bertz from LCA...

The Bertz Clan said...

Hi Angela - I was directed to your blog by yours/Paul's facebook page and this is the first post that I read. Oh my, totally me to a tee! Thanks for the reminder that I need to let loose, make a mess and have more fun with my kids, especially headed into Christmas cookie baking! You guys look like you are having fun -- way to go! :)
BTW - your boys are adorable and you look awesome!

Toni R. said...

How cute! You are like the christian version of Bree Van DeKamp (Desperate Housewives)!!!
Alex is just getting into the phase where her cookie decorating is really good (even guests will eat them!). But, unfortunately, I have a little one that will want to start pitching in either next year or the year after! I am SO OCD about my food presentation as well!
BTW- I know you are still on pins and needles, but I didn't get the pkg. yet. I will post immediately as soon as I get it :)

The Whitfield's said...

I need that black and white apron for my kitchen.....what a GREAT print!!