Monday, October 13, 2008

Library lady, I'm sorry

Last week I took the boys to the library for story time. It was PACKED! Every mom in our county brought their pre-schoolers. I couldn't find a parking place so I went to pull out of the parking lot completely and look and see if I could find a spot in the lot next door. Well, I was heading toward the exit when I saw this tan suburban headed right FOR ME! Full steam. I was stuck and a little panicked, so I blared my horn.

Now, about our horn. There's a short in the wiring somewhere and it really sounds more like a child's squeak toy or a clown car. It's EMBARRASSING! But in my frightened state, I forgot about my cheezy horn and blared away.

That's when it happened. The lady pulled right up next to me and rolled her window down. I'm thinking.."Oh please don't be mad". I don't handle this kind of confrontation very well. She did not look happy. She said..."Did you just HONK at me?"

I'm thinking, YES I did honk at you, I thought you were going to hit me. But then, I thought, maybe she really was confused, like she wasn't sure if she heard a HONK or if there was a MOUSE in the back of her car or something.

She said..."I had to get in to the parking lot, I couldn't just stay out in the road". She was right. I completely stumbled over my words..."um, no, I, it's not, I just thought you didn't see me, I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking...blah blah blah..." I was utterly humiliated. You know how you would not normally cause trouble if your behind someone in line at the grocery store, but somehow when you're in the car, you have POWER! Well, the power is gone when you have a squeak toy for a horn.

Well, I found a parking place and took the boys inside. Guess where the only open seat was...YEP, right next to this poor lady who probably thinks I have road rage. Again, I apologized to her in a rambling sort of way, then realized I was interrupting the "Story book lady". The hits just keep on comin'.

We both left after story time and didn't speak to each other again. I may see her again at the next one, maybe I should bring her a basket of goodies as a peace offering. But for what it's worth, Library lady, I'm sorry I honked/squeaked at you. :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did we switch places for a day or something? Cause I swear that sounds like something I would do!!! :)

Anonymous said...

It's OK - I just blasted off in an email to someone here - You know how us grits girls (girls raised the south) can very politely tell you to 'get lost' and make it sound so sweet - well, just did it. I am soooo ready for vacation and if I had money in my 401k (which nobody does right now) I would walk out and retire! Whew! Another day in paradise and I'm done! Love ya - can't wait to talk all night with you guys! Granny

Angela Richardson said...

Carol! (aka - Granny:) I'm actually very proud of you for speaking your mind! You're so funny...GRITS! I think I've seen that t-shirt in a Cracker Barrel. You need that! I have a feeling we'll be stopping at a few Cracker Barrel's this weekend too! YIPEEEEE! :)

Dolly said...

Funny post Angela! I can totally see this whole scenario taking place. Every time you see this lady now, I can see you smiling with a nervous laughter. You'll probably end up being bf's with her. I'm laughing at the sound I imagine your horn making too!

Kristi Smalley said...

That is hilarious, Angela. You didn't let profanity fly did you? What would be even funnier would be if you walked in on Sunday and she was a visitor at your church. Can you imagine?

You sound like me. When I get in a situation like that, it is like the connection between my tongue and brain just shuts off. I embarrass myself.

Donna said...

Hilarious! I can totally see you doing that, too. Yes, I think you need to have a little Halloween basket full of goodies for this lady and her children on Monday:)