Monday, July 28, 2008

To God Be The Glory



For the past 3 months my husband has been coordinating a community makeover event that took place this past weekend. Brian, our pastor, had a vision to start a non-profit organization called "Engage Atlanta". Working with other pastors side by side, not competing with them. Over 3,000 volunteers and 250 projects later, we have seen God work in and through the lives of the church and the people that have been helped. Last night we had a huge worship service in the Sam's club parking lot. Paul and I estimated over 6,000 people were there. 8 churches, different denominations, all coming together for ONE purpose: to make the name of Jesus known. To be the hands and feet of Jesus to our community. To lay aside our differences, color, race, background and work as a team. It was one of the most beautiful things I've ever experienced in my entire life. Paul and I drove around to the different projects...couldn't make it to them all, but I wanted to post about one of them.

My friends Skip and Jennifer adopted this family 2 Christmas' ago and have been helping the Mucino family ever since. Their trailer was in major need of some repair, they did a makeover on this home and the family was so touched and excited! Some of their pictures are in the slideshow.

Last night Paul and I were so tired, but in the best way. During the weekend, Paul got several calls for benevolence, people needing a meal, someone who was homeless, etc. In fact after the program last night, a homeless guy came up to him and needed a place to stay, Paul set him up in the Holiday Inn...walking to the car, Paul told me that he felt like God kept all these people coming to him to remind him that it's all about the "one lost sheep". Not the BIG event at Sam's, which was unbelievable!, but about being consistent and helping the poor and oppressed.

Last weekend while I was away in Lynchburg, Paul gave me a recap of what he did with the boys, and there was one story that made me proud. He had taken the boys to the Atlanta Zoo, then downtown to Centennial Olympic park to run in the water fountains, all the while, they kept passing this same homeless guy. Paul wanted to show the boys the dignity in introducing yourself and asking someone their name. Paul introduced the boys and the man said his name was Calvin. (Mind you, if I had been there, this whole thing probably would have NEVER taken place, sometimes, God has to move obstacles - in this case ME, out of the way). Paul asked Calvin if he wanted to walk with him and the boys to the CNN center and buy him a meal. Calvin wanted a "Baconater Meal" from Wendy's, so they sat and ate with him. My son Will has prayed for Mr. Calvin every night at bed time. He says, mom, tonight Mr. Calvin is sleeping on the concrete while I'm in my bed....we've gotta do something about this. Boy, do we ever!

I know that my posts are usually much more light hearted, but I can't help but share what God is doing. Don't worry, I'll get back to make-up and nail polish again soon! But, God has once again, stirred my heart for what really matters and I just can't keep it in!

5 comments:

Kristi Smalley said...

This song gave me the chills. This was a wonderful post! As Christians we get so caught up in our comfort zones of wanting more and more and life becomes all about us. This is a great reminder that when we stand before God, what matters is what we did for others and how we pointed them to Christ instead of what we accumulated. That is so great what your husband did with the boys. What a life lesson they will never forget.

Anonymous said...

Hey Angela,
I just found your blog. Tell Paul great job this weekend!

Dolly said...

Paul is a great daddy and husband. I loved reading about this story and I agree with Kristi...your boys will never forget that life lesson. Good post Ang!

Teecy said...

AMEN ANGELA!!!! I love it! Thanks for sharing this and sharing specifically about what God is whispering to your heart.
Jesus talks so much about the poor and oppressed. He is FOR the underside of society. It's only right that if are Christ followers that we should be too.
Thanks for this reminder. It's so encouraging to see the church come together like this and be a true representation of Christ.

Donna said...

That is great that Paul did that for the boys. He's a good dad. I bet your boys (esp. Will) will never forget that. I love how he prays for Mr. Calvin! He seems like he has a tender heart.