Monday, July 14, 2008

I Scream, You Scream, We all scream for ICE CREAM!



Homemade ice cream is just the best. A neighbor gave me this recipe. It's so fun for kids. A great way to cool off a hot summer day.

Here's what you need:
*a 1 pound coffee can
*a 3 pound coffee can
*2 quarts (half gallon) whole milk
*2 cans sweetened condensed milk
*1 pckg (4oz) instant pudding
*1 cup sugar
*3 cups rock salt
*10 pounds ice

Mix pudding with milk. Add sugar and condensed milk. Makes 3 quarts. Place in smaller can leaving a one inch space. One recipe fills three one pound cans. Put ice and rock salt around smaller can (in larger can). Place lids tightly on cans. You may want to seal the lids with duct tape. Then, KICK THE CAN around. We practiced bowling with ours! It took about 45 minutes for it to make a soft serve type ice cream. It was great!

5 comments:

Dolly said...

This looks like a GREAT recipe! Made me want some now! I'm so excited you're coming this weekend. I'll call you tonight.

Kristi Smalley said...

Do yall get Blue Bell ice cream in GA? You used to only be able to get it in TX but I think they have gone nationwide. Have you had Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla? (Not Blue Bunny)

You can honestly say that you and your boys played "Kick the Can" like the old folks used to do. Now you just need to break out the street ball game.

Angela Richardson said...

We have Blue Bell. I know Blue Bunny is terrible. It tastes like plastic to me. But Blue Bell...just like the commercials..."Blue bell tastes just like, the good 'ol days!"

Anonymous said...

Just when I thought you couldn't come up with any thing more creative...hmmm you are like the Martha Stewart in kids world. I do want to get together. I will call tomorrow. Love you!

Fitafter4 said...

Yummy....sounds really good. I think I'll try it with my kids. Although I'm not sure a 1 lb can will be big enough! My kids can eat one each!
thx.
tona