Monday, May 24, 2010

What is DYSAUTONOMIA anyway?

Dysautonomia is a heart condition. Basically it's an exaggerated form of Mitral Valve Prolapse. It affects the autonomic nervous system. I was diagnosed with this almost 5 years ago. I was pregnant with Wesley at the time and I was scared to death. I had a tubal litigation after Wesley was born. It was a bittersweet moment. I was SO THANKFUL my baby made it through that rough 9 months with me, but I was sad that I wouldn't have anymore babies. Now, my "baby" is almost 5 years old. (I'm pregnant with Wesley in this picture.)

I've made great strides in conquering this condition. And, I have had many setbacks. It's treatable. It's live-able. I know what I need to do to keep my body healthy and strong. Along with taking a beta blocker, I drink a TON of water and try to exercise regularly.

I have discouraging days though. Sometimes, I think..."whew, I'm out of the woods and I'm back to NORMAL". Then, the next day...WHOP. I'm flat on my back again. The past 2 months I've been "WHOPPED". I've been trying to just deal with the every day tasks and push through hoping my symptoms would go away. But, they haven't. Sooooo, I'm headed back to my incredible cardiologist in Birmingham, AL. Whether my dr. changes my medicine, or puts me on a different regimen, I don't know. But I DO know this:

Psalms 91:14-15 "Because she loves me, 'says the Lord', I will rescue her; I will protect her, for she acknowledges my name. She will call upon me, and I will answer her; I will be with her in trouble, I will deliver her and honor her."

He is my healer. My provision. In my mind "healing" might be something completely different than what HE has planned. But I trust HIS healing.

Don't you just love that for the simple fact that we "ACKNOWLEDGE HIS NAME" He promises to rescue us? When we are at our lowest point and we can't do anything else but acknowledge Him, THAT'S enough. That is grace.

Today, I'm headed to go for a run. I'm gonna try to train for a marathon in October. Dysautonomia or not. :)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so impressed by what God does in and thru you. I am praying for you and your next appointment. You are an amazing young woman, wife, mom, role model, and servant!

Love you,
Debbie Webb

Tonya said...

You are a great lady! Praying for healing for you! I read those verses just this week in my devotional book and I love it!

Unknown said...

Praying for you girl! You are so strong and I love your zeal for life. I know your boys are extremely blessed to have you for a mom and wife. Keep up the good fight and keep us posted on your next doctors visit.
Love you!
Amber

Anonymous said...

Magnesium Oxide Works! 400 to 500 mg every evening.

The Goldsmith's Gazette said...

I am committing you to that I'm praying for you! You on my list tonight! Please update when you can. I love that we do have the assurance that our Heavenly Father is the great physician and already has this worked out for you!

Kristi Smalley said...

Angela, I'm so glad you shared this with us. #1 so we would have an understanding of your condition but #2, so we can pray for you. You are a strong lady and God does have GREAT PLANS for you. Jer. 29:11. Let us know what your doctor says.

Donna said...

Keep us posted on how your appointment goes! Good for you for training for a marathon?! WOW!

Dolly said...

You're such a good girl Angela! I'm proud of you too and your outlook and encouragement to others. Please keep us posted on what the dr's in AL say and keep your chin up. You take such good care of yourself and I know it's not always fun. I can't wait to hear more about this marathon in October too! Good for you!!!

Kristi said...

Praise the Lord for His work in you that causes you to trust Him. He is so faithful and has proved Himself to us again and again. I needed to be reminded of this today. Will be praying for you!!