Friday, March 6, 2009

Bye Bye Blue Bird

A few weeks ago, Paul and I had a conversation about our "favorites". I told him my FAVORITE bird is a BLUE bird. Not a BLUE JAY which I've heard can be mean birds. But the little tiny bluebirds. They are the brightest blue and have the sweetest song. We see them occasionally in our backyard at our bird feeders. They just make me happy.

Well, while Paul was in Cuba, I had one of those weeks. Anything crazy that could happen....DID.

One day we were driving out of my neighborhood, and I saw a blue bird in the MIDDLE of the road. Just as I was going..."awh, look how sweet".....THUMP. I NAILED it. Head on. Poor thing never had a chance. Now, I know you might think I'm a bit crazy for taking a picture. But I was sleep deprived and emotional. I had to pick this poor thing up and move it to the side of the road. The thought of it getting smushed was too much for me to bear.

The boys got out of the car to see the action.

Will - "Mom, can I say a prayer for the blue bird?"

Me - "Sure, honey." Will and Wesley knelt by the side of the road to pray. Wesley then chimed in that he wanted to pray too.

Will - "Dear God, I pray that you would make a miracle happen so this bird could fly again, and, if it's dead please don't let a hawk eat it for dinner!"

Wesley - "Dear God, pwease hewlp dis bird to fly he's wingsth. Okay, Jesusth amen."My boys...performing a eulogy. For a bird. (any Bachelor fans, DON'T even think about comparing me to Naomi's mom!!! This is different. I don't believe the bird is coming back as a cat or dog. ha! )

8 comments:

Melanie said...

You have the sweetest little boys...cause mine are the sweetest big ones!
My favorite bird is the cardinal b/c when you see the bright red male, his "blonde" mate is not far behind.
Melanie@Bella~Mella
*You're right about that ugly skirt...so NOT me. And I still don't know what I was thinking when I bought it.

Unknown said...

That is so funny and even funnier that you stopped moved it and took a picture. You are too funny! The boys are absolutly precious!

Dolly said...

This is hilarious! Angela, who in the world took the picture of the three of you?

BTW, I love VIrginia Red Cardinals! We have one at our window every morning and I just love it.

Toni R. said...

Awww...how sweet!
Who took the picture of all three of you guys? That must have been weird to explain!

Kristi said...

This is really funy Angela, maybe not to you today, but some day. How ironic that you hit your favorite bird - it's just all too...funny.
On the other hand - how delightful that your boys first response was to pray. You are a good mommy.
Poor little blue bird.
My prediction... Dolly hits a cardinal next week. :)

Jennifer said...

Now seriously, would you have even thought about stopping and taking a picutre of a dead bird BEFORE you had a blog? Nope! The pressue to perform is always on when it comes to blogs!

That is sweet that your boys wanted to pray for the bird. But, I DO think you got the idea from Naomi's mom! HA HA

Kristi Smalley said...

Angela, this post is PRECIOUS!!!!! I'm glad you blogged about it. What a memory! I used to have funerals for birds all the time. I had a mean teenage neighbor who would shoot them out of the sky with a B.B. gun. On the side of my parent's house there are probably 30 bird skeletons. Ha!

Donna said...

hahah! Jennifer...so true. What did any of us do before blogs?! Sorry you hit your favorite bird, Angela. That is sweet what the boys did/said.

Who took the picture of the three of you? Did you put it on the car and do the self timer?!