Sunday, August 24, 2008

Money saving candle tip


Today I counted the candles that I burn frequently in my house. There are 8. That is really low compared to what I thought I had. I was sure I had near 20. I LOVE candles. Soft scents mostly. Again, with the whole scent thing, if it's too strong, it just gags me. I usually stick with a vanilla or unscented. Every now and then I'll put a Macintosh Apple candle from Yankee Candle in the kitchen. And for fall, it's gotta be PUMPKIN SPICE!

Chunky pillar candles are my favorite, but they seem to burn down faster than the jar candles. So last year I came up with this little idea:

I burn the candle down to almost half...maybe about 1/4 down. Then, when it has made a nice little well inside, I don't burn that wick anymore, I put a tea light candle down inside. You can't see it at all! And it saves on the mess if you have pillar candles on the wall, like mine pictured. I don't ever have to worry about scraping wax off my walls or the floor. Tea light candles run about $1.50 a pack. MUCH cheaper than the big pillar candles. Plus, I like the look of a used candle instead of a brand-spanking new one. This way, you can burn it to your desired "look" and it can stay that way!

Try it!


2 comments:

Dolly said...

Clever little tip Angela! This tip should be in a good housekeeping magazine! I'm with you on the fall scent candles. I already have my fall Yankee Candle (Pumpkin Spice) ready to start burning soon!

jenniferg said...

Dave Ramsey would SOOOO appreciate this tip!