Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Apple doesn't fall far from the tree

The other day, I went to get my son Will out of bed and as I got close to his door I could hear him talking. I opened the door to find this. He had lined up all his animals on the end of the bed.




Will has a quirk. Actually, it's just his personality, but he is SERIOUS about organizing. He loves order. Hmmm, wonder where he gets that from. I cleaned his room tonight, organized the star wars action figures, stuffed animals, transformers, legos, and put them in their proper buckets, then I re-organized his books and put all his sea shells (from our recent trip to the beach) in a glass container so he could see them all. When it was completely done, I yelled downstairs..."Will, come upstairs, I have a surprise for you!" He came running in his room and just squealed. After about 5 minutes of exploring the cleanliness, he said, "mom, my smile won't go away." Awh. Nothing could have made all that work more worth it.

So, I have been documenting his need for things to be lined up, organized, and in order. And here are some of my favorites:

These are Will's counting animals. He of course, put them in groups, then counted them.


My dad mails us the local paper from Lynchburg, Va. and sends special articles on animals, wildlife, anything the boys would be interested in. But, before we could look at them Will wanted to lay them all out flat.

Lucky Charms one morning for breakfast. He did this as I was getting the milk and spoon.

Counting money...

Playing Bingo, he always makes a shape with his bingo chips, this day it was his name. Please ignore my carpet. We've had them cleaned since this picture...Thanks Charlie and Kelli! :)

This was snack time. He put the graham crackers around in a circle for petals and filled in the middle with his goldfish. Yes, my son ate his snack off the kitchen floor. I didn't have the heart to make him put it back in the bowl. But now, I tell him to make his little designs on the table instead!

6 comments:

Kelley said...

Wow - that's pretty amazing. My middle daughter does that too. For example, when she was 3 or 4 she took ALL of our VHS tapes out of their cases and put them in a perfectly straight line across the playroom.

Anonymous said...

Aww...that's cute! Kenni is more of a "hoarder"...she loves little things like figurines, and they must go EVERYWHERE with her. She would probably drive WIll crazy with her mismatched, ungrouped toys! :)

jenniferg said...

Can Will come over for a few days and organize our stuff? Maybe Will can tackle Grant's baseball collection first then onto the diaster in Kendall's room. I am so glad you took photos.. that is such a neat thing. He will love the photos later.

Dolly said...

Wow! That's good that he's already so organized. I KNOW he gets that from his momma!

Kristi Smalley said...

Oh my goodness - How amazing! You have got yourself a good cleaner in the making. Start training him now. He will probably be an engineer or an CPA one day and make lots of money....that or he will start his own home-organization business. SO CUTE!

Donna said...

Wow! I bet he'll do really well in school, and something tells me this kid will be a whiz at math!