Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Chew The Fat

I made a roast tonight for dinner. I always cut the fat off the meat for my boys. They've never had a hunk of fat attached to their meat, so they don't really know what it tastes or feels like. This is because of my preference, not theirs. They probably don't know the fat exists. However, I missed some of the fat on Wesley's roast tonight. I watched him as he put a fatty (ugh...I'm about to heave even typing it) piece in his mouth and his entire body shivered. His nose flared and he clinched down his teeth and whined. Without hesitating, I grabbed a napkin and let him spit it out! (something we don't normally allow at the table). 

When I was a little girl, my dad taught me to eat every last bite of food on my plate. If I did (and my brother too), then we could be members of the "Clean Plate Club". This is a tradition I have adopted for my boys and have added the luxury of giving them a sticker! Whoohoo! 

On my very first date, with my very first and ONLY boyfriend, I ordered steak. Paul took me to a fancy restaurant in the 'burg called "Crown Sterling". I ordered the same thing he did - Ribeye steak, cooked medium, with the salad bar. (Now that I'm comfy in my skin, I would have ordered a filet, medium well). I was trying to be so polite and proper and felt totally out of my element. When my steak was presented before me, I could see it everywhere,

Fat. Fat. Fat. 

In fact, I don't think there were more than 2 bites of actual steak on my plate! I was too embarrassed to say anything, so.... I ate. every. bite. I can still taste it. YUCK! I wanted to cry. I wanted to hurl. But, I chewed it and swallowed it because I didn't want Paul to think I was high maintenance. (Boy, has that veil been torn over the years! ha ha!:) 

I thought about that date tonight as I watched Wesley. I thought about how many things we are taught out of preference. My boys might have grown up liking fat if I did. They will like certain people if I do. They will form opinions, based on my opinions - wow, that's a scary thought. I am encouraged/convicted tonight, to make sure I am teaching my boys truth - God's truth, not just preference. However, if they start "preferring" to chew the fat of the steak...we might have issues. :)


5 comments:

Dolly said...

Cute post! I'm laughing at your first date experience with Paul. I never knew that. Does Paul like his steaks fatty since you ordered what he did? And more importantly, did you order the parfait for desert? If so, the double or the single? Haha

Angela Richardson said...

Dolly, I can't believe I never told you about that! No, no parfait for desert. We went to Bahama sno shack baby! :)

Donna said...

Funny post, Angela!! I lvoed the first date experience, too:) Yes, the parfait is a must at CS!! Isn't in it funny how girls behave on first dates? I ordered chicken on our first date because I didn't want to be high maintenance!!

Kristi Smalley said...

I am rolling and gagging all at once. That is hilarious about you chewing the fat. (I feel like something in hung in my throat right now). I forgot about the good old Crown Sterling. I think I have eaten there twice.

Kristi said...

Oh the Crown Sterling. I love that when talking about this place you have to tell people that is was Lynchburg's fancy restaurant butthen you reveal that you get a salad bar. That was so weird about that place!
This was a great post, Ang. I love your perspective - your ability to make us laugh and think. :)