Sunday, February 28, 2010

You are cordially invited to my art exhibit!

Dr. Seuss' birthday is Tuesday, and in honor of that, my son's 1st grade teacher is sending home a book for each kid and a journal for them to write in about the book. His teacher asked me to illustrate the journal covers (something I had done for her before) and I was ecstatic!

**Now, let me back up here and say, I've always secretly wished I could be an artist. Well, along with a lot of other things...a singer, a dancer, Miss America, a journalist, a news anchor, tinkerbell...you see what I mean. There was a girl in my high school named Courtney who could draw. I mean, REALLY draw. She would use her imagination and whip up something on her notebook paper that would astound us. I always wished I had that talent. When I was a cheerleader, we had to make banners for the games to post throughout the school. I LOVED when it was my turn. The football players didn't always love it however...for example: one time I made a huge banner that said "Bee (with a picture of a BEE) there, or bee (another picture of a BEE) square. Now, our mascot was the Bulldogs. So you can imagine how my cheesiness in the banner making didn't say much about our MIGHTY, FIERCE, UNSTOPPABLE, Bulldogs.**

Fast forward to today...here I am, a wife, a mother of 2, and I never thought I'd need my artistry skills again, but ALAS, destiny has come knocking! :)

Please enjoy for FREE: (next time there will be a charge:)





6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Angela, those are great! Did you seriously do that free-hand? I'm impressed! Ok, Max's school is celebrating the same thing this week and they have to dress up like a character on Friday. Any suggestions, you artist you?

Angela Richardson said...

Jennifer, you could dress him up as "Thing 1 or Thing 2" That's an easy costume to whip up. Or, if you want to be realllly creative, you could make him a character from who-ville. He would be SO cute!

Yes, they're free handed. Yep, ehhhh.... :)

Anonymous said...

Those are great!!!
I love Dr. Suess books so much!

Momofgirls said...

If I go back to teaching, I will be calling you to make me some bulletin boards!!!
Great Job!! My mom taught Kindergarten for 36 years, so she did a ton of bulletin boards by freehand too...gotta be born with that talent!!!

Donna said...

Oh my goodness! You are a great artist! Wow! It looks identical to the covers!!! Way to go Mrs. Richardson!

Kristi Smalley said...

Angela Richardson....you are a woman of many talents. You never cease to amaze us....you coupon, you are a nail polish expert, you crochet, and now you are an artist. WOW! Do I feel inferior. HA!