Friday, January 22, 2010

How Full is Your Bucket?

Paul bought this book for the boys for Christmas. It is officially our FAVORITE children's book EVER! I can't tell you how many times we've tried to explain to our boys...

"Don't say mean things, it makes people feel bad."
"It hurts mommy's feelings when you don't obey."


After reading this book - they TOTALLY GOT IT!


The book shows how everyone is walking around with a "bucket" over their head. We can either FILL each other's buckets, or EMPTY them.

The bully on the playground has an almost empty bucket. Which explains why he's a bully.


We first read this book in the car on a road trip. We had a lot of time to say nice things to fill each other's buckets. My boys really got into it. I told them, saying "yes, ma-am" filled my bucket, so they KEPT SAYING IT!

"How full is your bucket" is everyday language in our home now. If you don't have this book for your kids - go get it!!! Or maybe even for a hubby! :)

Some things my boys have said after reading this book:

Wes - "Daddy took me to Waffle House this morning and it filled my bucket!"
Will - "Mom, when you lay down with me for a while before bed, it fills my bucket."
Will - (eating dinner at Stevie B's, we went around the table to say how full our buckets were that day)..."My bucket is already full, just being here with the family!"
Wes - (seeing mommy deal with an unfriendly person at walmart) "mommy her bucket is NOT full AT ALL."

10 things that EMPTY my bucket:
1. My boys arguing.
2. A messy house.
3. If Paul and I are in a "funk".
4. Stress.
5. Not enough sleep.
6. Someone being mean to my kids.
7. Confrontations.
8. Feeling uncomfortable in my clothes/unhealthy.
9. Sick kids.
10. Feeling like I can't do everything I've committed to.


10 things that FILL my bucket (in no particular order):
1. Family time.
2. Time alone with God, me time.
3. Having a clean house.
4. Watching a good movie.
5. Exercise.
6. A sincere compliment.
7. Gifts, Gifts, Gifts! (even little itty bitty ones)
8. Hearing my boys or my husband belly laugh.
9. A trip or getaway.
10. Good food.

8 comments:

Dolly said...

GREAT post Angela! Your boys are so sweet. I love that they kept saying "yes ma'am" after you told them it filled your bucket. So cute! You're doing a wonderful job as a mommy. I'll have to look into this book for sure.

Momofgirls said...

I agree, great post! I am gonna look for this one. I think Shae's HS English teacher would LOVE to read it to her classes too!!

Desiree said...

What a sweet book! I am totally going to get this book for James (and us). He may be a little young but there's nothing wrong with starting early! Thanks for sharing :)

Kristi said...

I wish I could have all my friends make lists of book they love! I feel like I am always in the dark about good books so thanks for sharing. I can't wait to get this one. Headed to Amazon now...

Kristi Smalley said...

I am going to get this book, for sure! What a sweet post, Angela. You have such good boys and you and Paul are doing such a good job training them.

Whitney said...

I love this book! I read an version designed for older kids to the kids at school in November. It makes it so easy for kids, and adults, to see how words and actions affect others. It was amazing how much that little book changed our school culture.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Olivia said...

Hi Angela,
I spoke with Donna in Tazewell last night. She told me about your blog. I'm from the "other side of the house" - Fred's cousin. My fokls live in the old farmhouse beside Freddie, Kara and Stewart. Your blog is a joy to read! I think "How Full Is Your Bucket" sounds wonderful. It's something my 10 year old and I need to read (and Dad too). I was hoping to find pictures of your all's trip to Tazewell - but being a novice blogger, I haven't figured out how to access them! I've loved reading the wonderful things you've written and included in this blog. It's great to find others who love our Heavenly Father. My New Year's resolution is to cling to God and follow Him in everything. Period. He has held my family in His hands and gotten us through some tough times as well as the good times - when it's sometimes harder to be faithful. Learning to be more obrdient and to draw closer to His love will be such a blessing! Hope you and your family continues to be well and happy in in His sight.
Olivia