Wednesday, June 2, 2010

ROY G. BIV

I posted this picture on facebook, but there's a little more to the story...
We saw this rainbow coming home after a party on memorial day. I asked Paul to stop the car and he pulled into a parking lot so we could sit and admire it for a moment. It got even more bright and colorful as we watched it. I've never seen a rainbow that big before. I thought, "oooooo, this is a great teaching moment". So we talked to the boys about God's promises and how we can trust Him to KEEP them.

Feeling like a good mom and dad, we pulled out of the parking lot and headed back toward home. Wesley however, wasn't ready to leave:

Wes - "Wait, we have to go look for him"
Me - "Who?"
Wes - "The little green man!"

I hope he didn't think the "Little Green Man" was the one who kept his promises. Oh dear.

We went through the colors one by one. I told the boys how Mrs. Barringer (T.C. Miller, 4th grade) taught me about ROY G. BIV and how that stood for the colors in the rainbow.

As we headed away from the rainbow and back toward home, we looked out the back window to admire it one more time and it was GONE!

Lesson:  Stop for those moments. This is something I learned from my dad. He is known for whipping the car off the road at any given moment. We always, ALWAYS learned something about nature in our car adventures with him.

3 comments:

missdaleen said...

Every single time I read your blog, I smile.

Thanks, simply thanks!

Kristi said...

Your brother was talking about rainbows on FB the other day... Funny.
Glad you seized the moment and had teaching opportunities - those are the best. You are such a great mommy. Wish we lived closer... like next door. :)

Dolly said...

Roy G. Biv and Mrs. Barrenger! hahaha! I forgot she's the teacher that taught us that.
You are a good mommy Angela. It's good you stop for moments like that.